40-40-40 ... Days 28,29,30

Maybe it's just Randy and me, but we tend to wait until the last minute to pack our bags, and take on a ton of other projects (that we've been putting off) at the same time.

Sure, I'll write a book this month. Sure, Randy will put in a new water heater for you. Of course we have time to take the girls out for pizza and the boys out for a dune buggy ride and have a slumber party with all 21 of them while buying last minute souvenirs and squeezing in a 30-minute massage.

If you are a procrastinator like us, you get it. And you get why I'm playing a little "catch-up" and "I don't have time for a lengthy blog or photos" today. So here goes: my next 3 donations went to Habitat for Humanity, Baldwin Wallace University and GreySave.

***

40-40-40 ... Day 28: Habitat for Humanity

When Randy and I let our friends know that we would be leaving San Felipe next week and traveling east, our friends Dave and Pam responded, "We'll be in Louisiana building houses with Habitat for Humanity. Maybe we can connect!" While I don't think the timing will work out this time, Randy immediately said, "We should do that." He is insanely talented at all things to do with home building, so it's a perfect fit. And his heart to continue to give and serve fills mine.

ACTION STEPS 
VOLUNTEER with Habitat for Humanity or DONATE to help families in need of a home. 

***

40-40-40 ... Day 29: Baldwin Wallace University 

Our oldest granddaughter, Trinitie, is off to college in Monterrey, California, in the fall to study marine biology. She is here visiting with us now, and it is fun to hear her excitement about this next stage. One reason she can be so excited is that scholarships and work-study opportunities are enabling her to start without the looming fear of a huge financial debt upon graduation. I, too, was lucky enough to have scholarships that made the cost of my tuition minimal, and I graduated without any debt. This fact alone has been the key to my ability to live the life I wanted to live since graduation. While I get annoyed by all the mail and phone calls since graduating, inviting me to financially support my alma mater, I know that my donation will enable future students to have the benefits that Trinitie and I do.

ACTION STEP
DONATE to your Alma mater or to mine

***

40-40-40 ... Day 30: GreySave

My Facebook friend Adam told me about an organization called GreySave, which finds forever homes for retired racing greyhound dogs, many of which race in Baja. He adopted a greyhound through this organization so can testify to their work. In San Felipe we live next to a dog shelter, and some do get adopted or taken out of Mexico (a bunch flew to Canada not long ago!), but the majority seem to hang out in this shelter for a long time or maybe forever. So I love the idea of supporting an organization that places dogs with a loving family, especially after having a hard life like the one I imagine racing greyhounds would have. Animals are amazing, so I'm all for saving the greyhounds!

ACTION STEPS
If you live in southern California you can VOLUNTEER to care for and even foster one of these dogs until they find their forever home. Or you can ADOPT a greyhound. If adopting or volunteering isn't right for you, you can do what I did and DONATE to GreySave. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE