How to Handle Rejection

Randy and I both faced unexpected rejection yesterday.

One of my clients, who I have been working with since December, decided that he no longer needed/wanted my writing and editing services. I received the "we're going in a different direction" email, which we all know is code for "you aren't cutting it so I'll just do it myself."

In Randy's case, he had been invited to put in a bid to cater a fundraiser next month, and he too received a "thank you, but..." email.

The question is: what do you do in the face of rejection?


I can't speak for you, but this is how we handled yesterday:

First, I read the rejection email. Then, I put it aside for 5 minutes while I prayed, thanking God for having given me the opportunity, the challenge, and the extra cash flow when I needed it, trusting that He had bigger and better things planned for my now "free time." Next, I replied to the email with a "thank you for the update, the opportunity, and if you need anything in the future let me know." And finally, I went back to the book I was reading.

Randy's response was similar: he read the email, responded with a "thank you," and we went back to planning our hike for the day.


The important thing to note is that we did not dwell on this rejection. We didn't internalize it and feel like we were unworthy.

Were we disappointed? Of course! But that doesn't change our value as people.

We are more than the work we do. We are more than whether or not everyone wants our food and our words. I would rather be a good wife than a great writer. Randy would rather be a good dad than a great chef. We would rather trust God's plan than sulk when ours doesn't work out.

But this requires us to be intentional about what we place value on and where we receive our value from.

If you find yourself feeling like a failure in the face of rejection, you may be placing your worth in the wrong hands.


Comments

  1. Something we all go through and quite honestly that was a very eloquent way to handle it! Have a blessed day Katie <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE