value

When I see this photo a million thoughts go through my head. They sound something like this:

"I hope everyone looks at the baby, the water, the sand, and not at me. I'm glad this was taken in the midst of triathlon training so I don't look 'as fat' as I would normally. I'm glad my sister-in-law wasn't standing close enough to get my stretch marks or my belly fat in this picture. Hopefully everyone will be distracted by the bikini and won't look at my face which isn't very pretty. I should have put some makeup on. And gel in my hair. Or at least worn a cute sun hat. No, I would have looked dumb in that too."

You might be thinking that I must have the lowest self-esteem in the world. But this is how millions of people talk to themselves every day. Including me.

And I hate it. I absolutely hate it.

I don't ever want anyone to believe those things about themselves. I don't want my little niece in this picture to ever feel she isn't as beautiful and as loved and as worthy as I thought she was the moment this photo was taken, and every moment since.

We are so much more valuable than those words in our heads. Than the words that others say. Than the words that the media makes us feel.

We are so much more valuable than the number on a scale. Than the size of our jeans. Or the size of our bra.

We are beautiful and valuable and worthy without makeup. Without airbrushing. With stretch marks and belly fat. With tan lines and wrinkles and scars.

Because beauty comes in seven billion forms. And we need to remind ourselves of that every single day.

EMBRACE VALUE.

I promise to work on embracing my value, if you promise to work on embracing yours. And telling others in your life that they are beautiful, and valuable, and loved.

Comments

  1. I love the message. I always feel like it is so hard to change the voices/habits/words that play through my head and have for years. Long experience, even if it is a distortion in my head, makes it difficult for me to embrace (or even admit that I have much) value. Your message gives me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan! I think you are so right... the longer we've been listening to those thoughts, and believing them, the harder it is to replace them with better ones.

      Delete
  2. still trying to break those habits and you're so right about not wanting daughters, nieces ... anyone to do the same

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Cathy! I want to speak only life into their lives. But they hear and see everything, and they are so perceptive to the truth, so I know it has to begin with me, and my perception of me. Letting MY life speak.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

names

forgiveness

MORE